Scrap metal suppliers provide materials for products that are used in a variety of industries. From stainless steel strapping suppliers to large manufacturing companies, the use of steel supports an industry that is continually working toward the recycling and reuse efforts of a valuable resource. The steel industry in America is a major influence i the country’s economy and politics. In addition to being important to America, the steel industry plays a role in the entire world’s economy as well. In fact, 69% of steel is recycled in North America each year, and serves as a model for other countries as well.
Stainless Steel and Galvanized Steel Impact the Costs of Many Products in America
Galvanization steel manufacturing depends on the process of applying protective zinc coatings to iron or steel, as a method to avoid rusting. Hot-dip galvanizing is the most common galvanization method used. This method is a process in which parts are submerged in molten zinc baths.
Consider some of these facts and figures about galvanized steel and the other steel products:
- 83,000 tons of steel was needed for the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge. With today’s technologies and advancements, however, only 50% of that would be needed now.
- In fact, the amount of energy needed to produce a ton of steel has been reduced since 1972 by 34%.
- The American Iron and Steel Institute estimating that 88% of steel in the world is recycled which means that steel is, in fact, one of the most recycled materials on Earth.
- Although they are small in size, refrigerators hinges made of steel can support more than 140-pounds of door weight without ever sagging.
- Nearly 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal, and 120 pounds of limestone are conserved for every single ton of steel that is recycled.
- Steel parts are now 30% stronger and more dent resistant than they were a decade ago.
Many industries in America rely on steel products. From the larges of manufacturing companies to small privately owned companies that only rely on one or two small stainless steel parts, the steel manufacturing industry to complete the products that they sell.