Trying to sew upholstery can be a difficult task not only for beginners but also experienced sewers. Upholstery is made with complicated kinds of fabrics. They are thick, durable, inflexible and strong. Industrial sewing services use a very heavy duty sewing machine for their commercial sewing. Having the right equipment is imperative to doing a good job. Or a job at all, in fact! Trying to sew something that includes a heavy material with a low quality sewing machine can render your project completely unusable. It is important to have a sewing machine that will work for what you need it to without freezing, getting stuck and simply being unable to finish what you started.
If it is time to find a new sewing machine for your industrial sewing techniques here are a few things to think about.
- The first thing that you need to ensure is that you get one with enough power to so those heavy fabrics.
- The next most important thing to look for in a machine is that it sews backwards. This will make it much easier to sew off the ends to prevent fraying.
- A good mechanism to try out is the walking foot. This is a sewing machine attachment that is used for thick fabric like when you are making quilts or upholstery. It enables the sewing machine to sew through several layers of fabric. A walking foot is better suited to handling the weight of heavier fabrics. Is also known as a compound feed or unison feed.
- Do not forget to think about the speed of the machine. Most home machines go from a slow to a medium pace which would be anywhere from 250 to 1,000 stitches per minute. Industrial machines are more like 1,000 to over 5,000 stitches a minute.
- Make sure you look into the control features as well. Different machines have different control features that perform different functions. Industrial sewing services require certain features that some machines may not have. Make sure to find the machine that has the features and functions that you require for the type of work you will be doing. For example, if you are going to be doing any custom industrial sewing there are certain types of stitches
- Generally speaking, industrial machines have heavier bodies made of metal and although this may be fine in a factory, if you’re looking to use this machine at home it is not very convenient. However, newer machines are made with lighter metals and hard plastics which makes the machine easier to move if necessary. Having a carrying case with a built in handle and such attachments make the machine a lot more portable.
Industrial machines all definitely a bit more specialized in your regular home machine. It is a misconception that industrial machines are made only for heavy work but it is not true they also can be used for like to materials so there’s no need for two sewing machine in order to provide good industrial sewing services.